Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
This Summer Internship position with OA/Commissioner’s Office can expect to perform or assist with a variety of entry-level or mid-level professional informational and communications work for a state agency. Will primarily work on social media, legislative affairs, content development, writing, editing, events and government relations, although any number of marketing or journalist tasks could be assigned. Examples of work as follows:
- Gathers, composes, compiles, edits copy and verifies information for newsletters, brochures, social media accounts, Internet web pages, articles, bulletins, pamphlets and other publications.
- Prepares and disseminates informational materials to support and/or promote programs and services of the assigned agency.
- Composes or edits articles for internal agency news bulletins and edits articles or correspondence for staff members.
- Develops spot announcements and/or scripts for radio and television.
- Answers requests for literature and information; maintains files of photographs, clippings, and agency publications.
- Interprets and communicates agency programs to employees, special interest groups, and the general public.
- Meets with agency officials and attends staff meetings for the purpose of discussing activities and securing newsworthy information.
- Researches available material to assist in the preparation of speeches for agency officials.
- Operates still and/or video cameras.
- Creates illustrations and does layout work.
- Assists with agency-sponsored and interagency special events.
- Assists with advertising and promotion of the state as a good location for economic development activities, including new business development, expansion of an existing business, film production, conventions, and vacations.
- Receives administrative direction; work is reviewed in progress and upon completion.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m. Approx 20 hours per week, mid-May through mid-August.
Salary is $10.00 an hour.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Introductory knowledge of journalism, legislative affairs, marketing, photography, film/video production, graphic arts, publication and printing.
- Introductory knowledge of news media operation and its proper utilization for dissemination of information.
- Introductory knowledge of the principles and methods of establishing and maintaining good public relations.
- Introductory knowledge of community resources and organizations.
- Introductory knowledge of commercial art methods and the general principles of layout and design.
- Introductory knowledge of operating still and/or video cameras.
- Introductory knowledge of marketing and advertising practices and techniques.
- Ability to compose and produce a variety of informational materials.
- Ability to use a variety of desktop publishing software packages and/or Internet formatting languages.
- Ability to interact professionally with agency officials, other employees and the general public.
- Ability to communicate with special interest groups, employee groups and the general public.
- Ability to work carefully and deliberately is highly-organized, timely, thorough and accurate.