Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The Server Middleware System Administrator role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of information systems that support the State of Missouri’s core organizational functions and web sites. This is achieved by effectively leveraging all networked software and applications throughout the lifecycle (Analysis, Design, Build, Test, Operation, and Retirement).
Middleware Systems Administrators will be responsible for the support, troubleshooting and maintenance of server applications for both public facing and internal networks. Successful candidates must be organized, self-motivated, and enjoy a challenge. This position entails keeping up with IT related requests, researching new technologies to improve current systems, working on individual projects as well as projects within a group, solving complicated problems all while minimizing downtime. Candidates will also need to be a team player and possess the skills necessary to teach others about complex topics.
- Coordinates and leads teams/projects relating to system maintenance and/or integration of new technology or enhancements with existing systems; coordinates tasks, assignments, and deadlines; and monitors progress.
- Perform installation, monitoring, testing, configuration, migration, maintenance and troubleshooting of assigned technologies.
- Ensure that the technologies are updated with current, stable, and compliant architecture and applications meet enterprise and security standards.
- Proactively monitor and report performance and utilization of assigned technologies.
- Troubleshoot software and/or hardware issues/failures.
- Resolve alerts and perform remediation activities.
- Manage problems or escalate tickets and tasks from systems/software owners.
- Provides input into infrastructure architecture designs.
- Participates in Disaster Recovery planning and exercises.
- Intermediate knowledge of Open Source Software and associated technologies.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Intermediate knowledge and experience with Windows and Linux server operating systems.
- Intermediate knowledge of Bash scripting and PowerShell scripting a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of personnel.
- Intermediate knowledge of computer/network systems infrastructure requirements and standards.
- Ability to learn and grow Windows and Linux server troubleshooting skills.
- The ability to address multiple projects/tasks on a daily basis and possession of strong troubleshooting skills are key.