Applicants for some Missouri Merit System positions may be required to take a typing test. For a better understanding of the test and how to proceed, please read all the instructions below before clicking the link at the bottom of the page.
The typing test site provides two options for test takers. If you select “Take the Practice Test,” you may practice as many times as you wish. If you select “Skip the Practice Test,” you will begin “The Real Typing Test.” This option allows you to take the test up to five times. Your best score will be used in your application process.
To access the typing test, you are required to provide the email address and personal information – complete name, phone number, and address – as listed on your Merit System application.
You can access the typing test with any of the following browsers compatible with JAVA 1.1:
- Internet Explorer 4.0 or newer
- Firefox 1.0 or newer
- Netscape Navigator 4.06 or newer
If you do not have JAVA, you may be able to download it free of charge at http://www.java.sun.com.
In some cases, the appropriate version of JAVA may be installed but is disabled from running as a security measure. A computer security level for the Internet may also be set above “Medium” or “Custom” security levels which may not allow access to the typing test website.
The test is complete when the timer stops. The official typing results will be sent to the email address you provided.
Tips For Success:
- Familiarize yourself with the program by taking the “practice test” until you are comfortable and ready to take “The Real Typing Test.”
- Remember that time begins the moment you start typing.
- The text or script you are required to type will appear on the top half of the screen. The text you are typing will appear on the bottom half of the screen.
- Pay attention to the underlined blue word in the script – this is the word the program expects you to type. Do not jump ahead or fall behind to a different word as it will be counted as an error.
- You can use the backspace key to correct errors only for the current word you are typing. Do not waste time trying to backspace to a previous word. Once you press the space bar to go on to the next word, you will not be able to backspace to a previous word.
- Be careful not to hit the space bar in error.
- Words with typed errors that cannot be corrected will appear in red on the bottom half of the screen.
- When you have filled the screen with typing, keep typing. The program will automatically scroll down to allow you more space to type.
Email us at [email protected] if you have questions or experience difficulties using the Merit System Typing Test website.
If you do not have access to the Internet or are unable to access the online typing test website, you can take the test on a computer at a public library, a Missouri Career Center, the home of a family member or friend, or at the Division of Personnel, Truman State Office Building, Room 430, Jefferson City, MO 65101.