The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted an order approving the designation of "988" as the 3-digit abbreviated dialing code for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
The change will impact all dialing, including cell phones.
Impact: Effective October 24, 2021, 10-digit dialing will become mandatory. 7-digit dials will NOT function.
New Caller Practice Effective October 24:
- Callers will dial area code + the telephone number to successfully complete all local calls across the State of Missouri.
- Local calls dialed with only 7 digits will not function. User will get a recording informing them the call cannot be completed as dialed.
- Callers must change contacts, speed dials, and call forwarding to 10 digits. This includes cell phones.
Read helpful FAQs About 10-Digit Dialing developed by the Missouri Public Service Commission.
State Team Member Guidance
- 10-Digit-Dial Detailed Instructions for State Agency Team Members
- How to: Dial Practice Changes from UC Desk Phones
Instructions for State UC Desk Phones:
- How to Manage UC Desk Phone Call Forwarding
- How to Mange Cisco Jabber Custom Contacts
- How to Conference Call from a UC Desk Phone
- How to Transfer Call from a UC Desk Phone
Instructions for iPhone Users:
Instructions for Legacy Phones (Centrex/Plexar):
- How to Manage Speed Dial for Legacy Phone (Centrex/Plexar)
- How to Manage Call Forwarding for Legacy Phone (Centrex/Plexar)
- How to Transfer a Call for Legacy Phones (Centrex/Plexar)
- How to Conference 6-Party Call for Legacy Phones (Centrex/Plexar)
- How to Manage 3-Way Conferencing for Legacy Phones (Centrex/Plexar)